Second Conditional Sugoroku Board Game
Dice based board game to practice the second conditional
Submitted by altirasuto
August 19, 2021
Estimated time: 20-25 min
This is an A4 sized sugoroku to practice the second conditional.
I would recommend to play this with kids who have practiced the second conditional already and are familiar with it or to use it as a review at the end of the year.
I haven't played this yet as I made it during the summer vacation in preparation for the upcoming lessons. Here is how I am planning to use it:
- Make groups of 3 to 4 and give them each a game board and a die. Kids provide their own game piece, could be an eraser or anything they have on hand that is small. The board is currently A4 but I would recommend sizing up to A3 if you can.
- Read over the questions and check if they understand the meaning. Have the JTE help if necessary.
- Determine order through janken. (all of this is around 5-10 min)
- Let the kids play freely but walk around and help them read/ understand/ answer. (10-15 min)
- Check if there were any questions, especially interesting responses, and/or who reached the finish first.
There are some questions where I don't expect the kids to know the vocabulary to respond in English. It's fine to me if they answer like, "If I had a superpower, it would be run fast" or "If I had a superpower, it would be (Japanese term)." My students tend to be proactive in asking me how to say something in English or trying to use what words they know. But if your students don't have that tendency, I would give each group a dictionary, a help sheet, or just change the prompts.
All content is provided under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 License.