This activity works great as review since you can change the questions to target any grammar point. I often use it as a refresher when students return from vacation. It also would work well as an ALT jikoshoukai activity. The relay aspect ensures that all students are participating!
Prep: Write 5-6 questions in English using any grammar points you'd like. (Ex: What were you doing last night? How was your summer vacation?) Have your JTE translate them into Japanese.
- Divide students into groups of 5-6 and assign each student in the group with roles A, B, C, etc. Distribute the worksheet for questions and answers.
- Student A goes to the JTE for a question in Japanese and brings this question back to their group. Together they translate the question into English on the worksheet.
- Student B goes to the ALT and asks the same question in English. They bring the ALT's answer back to their group to write on the worksheet.
- Student C returns to the JTE for a new question in Japanese. Student D takes the translated question to the ALT.
- Repeat until all the blanks in the worksheet have been filled in!
- Fastest group with the fewest mistakes is the winner.
- Students should not bring the question sheet with them when asking the JTE or ALT.
- If a student has many mistakes in asking their question, I'll send them back to their group to try again.
- The worksheet isn't strictly necessary, you can have the students record answers in their notebook instead.
- To make the game longer or shorter simply alter the number of questions.