This was inspired by Super Mario World, Bullet Bill's Revenge! I will link the activities.
I just caught a couple of small mistakes, a slide was missing a cruella and 'that' was replaced with 'which' in another slide. Should be okay now.
I’ve settled on a style that I like for these types of activities and I’ve updated all my materials to that style.
How to Play
Do the demonstration slide before putting students into groups. Each group will be a Disney Character from the game. They can select the character or you select them. After the demonstration slide make groups and assign characters.
When you first arrive on a slide you click on the question number circle near the top left. This will reveal the key words or the question depending on the version. You can then click the same circle again to reveal a picture hint if you are using the picture hint. If you are not using a picture hint then delete the small picture in the top right corner of each question slide.
The students who should be in groups will decide their answer and one member will then come to a teacher with the answer. If the answer is correct they / or a teacher will tap their team character picture causing a version of their character move to the top row. If you continue clicking the character will continue moving down. Stop where you want the character to stop.
After every team has gotten a chance to answer or a time limit is reached you click small circle with the question number again to reveal a sample answer. Do an answer check then click that circle one last time to make the answer vanish.
Now click the ready, and then fire. This will cause Cruella to drive across the screen in one row catching those cuties. The remaining cutie teams all get a point. Click on the arrow to go to the next question.
Make sure the students rotate who brings you an answer. I mostly use this as a Race and Speak Activity but it would work fine with writing sheets or using team white boards.
Most classes I can get through 8 to 12 questions depending on the time. I generally like to introduce the target language first and then have enough time for some follow up writing.
Before the demo I have a few optional slides explaining the story. I have this because although the students know Disney characters will they don’t always know the story so much I want it clear this isn’t just about some lady running over characters, that feels a like it might remind some kids of bad memories.
I have a lot of versions where the target language is only slightly different, for example a superlatives-comparatives version and that has more-most and another that has more-most-er-est. Rather than separate them I’ve built them into single files with a hyperlink screen at the beginning that has hyerlinks to the different versions. The worksheets however are still mostly separate.
NOTES ABOUT DIFFERENT VERSIONS
I added a version for plural verbs for 1st year classes (Simple verbs only/no negative statements).
Added a version for One World Smile Lesson 9 This is my Dream Friend. This is primarily to review or introduce the vocabulary and the target sentences. It includes a board game that can be done in groups to go over the vocabulary again. Take turns rolling the dice then going around the board making sentences based on the pictures. Also the interesting people poster. The kids in groups pick a picture and make up a name and details about the person then go and tell the teacher for a sticker.
Having used the ‘more-most’ version a couple of times I’ve added a couple of other versions. I think 12 questions was too long. I’d say eight max (although I kept the longer version if anyone wants to use it). Also for classes that are newer to the language point it might be better to split it in two. Use this for ‘more’ and something else for ‘most’.
The version for the relative pronoun has one that only practices ‘that’ relative pronouns and one that reviews a number of forms.
Hi, I think there's a problem with the "Relative Pronoun" pptx file. I'm prompted to repair the file when opening, but it fails to repair and can't be opened. Thanks for all your hard work!
Hi Barronator. That is odd. It didn't happen to me but for good measure I'll repost it. Hopefully that will take care of the problem. Reposted it. Let me know if its still funky.
It's all good man. I think it was a glitch on my end. Sorry about that! Thanks again though, this game is awesome!
Glad it worked out. I'm really grateful to Jiggs for this one. A new flexible activity that can be adapted to many themes and target languages is a really rare bird.
Just played this game with my JHS 3 kiddos, and several of them came up to me after class to tell me they had fun! Thanks for another great activity @UonumaRobert!