Hello everyone, this game is relatively simple and should be easy for your students to follow (and since when did splatoon NOT get a good reception from elementary students?).
- Print off tri-color page at the end of the powerpoint (one for each group). I would advise laminating them.
- Read through the explanation slide.
- Put students into groups. I would say 4 is probably the maximum but see how it works for you.
- Show students the demonstration slide. Hopefully this is visual enough to be self-explanatory but I would demo with the JTE.
- Have students ask each other the target question "What ... do you like?" in their groups.
- Once all students have replied with the "I like ... " sentence they then place their finger on the color of their answer.
- Teacher then reveals the points for each color by clicking on the images. Students keep track of their own points.
- At the end of the game, have the students with the highest score select a character to 'win' (basically just selecting a victory screen).
- The pink octopus will take you to the "choose the winner" slide.
- When a character pops up, simply click (or tap) them again to make them disappear.
- If students are tied for first place, have them janken and then the winning student picks the character.
- My elementary students this year can regulate themselves in groups however a watchful eye may be needed by yourself and the JTE to ensure students are producing the target language.
- The last few slides contain the character images, points symbols etc so that you can add your own slides if you want
- @emilieloveskiwi suggested that students use an eraser instead of pointing to their choice so give that a try
Edit (22/06/23): I have added a basic score card for students to keep track of their scores (as requested via feedback) The students will write down what 'prize' they received (+3, +1, + 10, -5 etc) and their running total.
I've tried this with my special needs class and they loved it. I am yet to try it with elemtary but the feedback so far has been that it goes down well ! Let me know how it goes for you :)
(credit for the splatfest tri-color template goes to reddit user u/Blackraven2007)