1. White boards, markers, and erasers
2. A display screen and a computer
3. Make groups (5 groups)
1. For best results, please use Microsoft PowerPoint - some of the functions don't work if you try it with Google Slides
2. You can copy the sentence card, and then paste it and it should stack on top of the card you paste it on top of. This is helpful because you will want to change the contents of the cards to match whatever your students are learning.
3. My textbook is Here We Go!
Origin of Thanksgiving (10 minutes)
The first slides give you a chance to tell the students the very basics of the Thanksgiving story. Pilgrims go to America on the Mayflower and eat food with the Native Americans.
The Food of Thanksgiving (10 minutes)
This next part of the slide show gives you the chance to introduce foods that are typically eaten by Americans on Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving vocab (5 minutes)
This is just some vocab, not too much was included because I figure the "food of Thanksgiving" is already sort of "Thanksgiving vocab."
And finally, the game. "Sail to the New World" (30-40 minutes)
There is a slide where students can choose between 5 ships.
Then the next slide, you can click on the sentence card at the top of the screen to reveal the answer.
You can click on the boats and they will move forward until they reach the beach on the right side of the screen.
After that, there is a "Bonus Time!"
1st person to raise their hand and correctly answer a question you ask gets to choose from the selection of a cornucopia, a pilgrim hat, a corn on the cob, etc.. (until we run out of selections)
Take this opportunity to ask a question appropriate to what your students are learning.