- Places around the town (More themes are available) -52-cards (no jokers or face cards) -13 vocabulary words
1 - house
2 - school
3 - park
4 - library
5 - museum
6 - hospital
7 - bus stop
8 - station
9 - department store
10 - post office
11 - aquarium
12 - amusement park
13 - convenience store
There are 4 suites (hearts, clubs, spades, diamonds)
Each suite has a corresponding verb/helping verb (have, like, go, be). You can use these (or not) in your games--depending on the target language you're practicing and what your students have already had exposure to.
These cards can either be used for warm-up activities or practice activities--after presenting the vocabulary/grammar point(s).
- Make sure students already understand the grammar/vocabulary (listed above) that they will be using these cards to practice with.
- Give them a minute or two to look through the deck to see all of the beautiful and eye catching images--and think about what they are in English.
- Play a simple or slow paced or turn based card game that they can first use to practice the core vocabulary.
- If you're practicing a grammar point, have them say that grammar point with the picture on the card in the 2nd or 3rd round of the game.
- Walk around and help students with pronunciation and mistakes.
- At the end of the game, ask who the winners are and congratulate them while giving positive feedback to the class.
- Have the groups count 52 cards and return the decks.